Thursday, October 8, 2015

31 Days of Horror 2015: Bloodfreak

5. Bloodfreak (1972)


I've been a fan of bizarre movies for at least twenty years, but because I'm too young to have experienced the drive-in in its heyday, until recently, most of my experiences with cinematic oddities were on the small screen. I have many fond memories of watching classics like "Basket Case," "Reptilicus," and "El Santo vs. Dracula and the Wolfman" on home video with a small group of friends, and I expect to create many more. However, there's also something special about sitting in a room full of strangers, staring at a movie screen, and witnessing a serial killer with the head of a turkey hacking up his victims and drinking their blood.

I was able to have this experience thanks to the local independent theater, the Nickelodeon, and its series "First Friday Lowbrow Cinema Explosion." This month's movie was "Bloodfreak," and to call it "bizarre" is a bit like calling Donald Trump "unscrupulous." The depth of weirdness almost defies description. I'll only add that in addition to featuring a turkey-headed killer, it's also a morality tale intended to persuade its audience to forsake sex and drugs and turn to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment