Monday, August 19, 2013

People Food

When buying a 30-pound bag of food for my dog, I sometimes wish I could also buy a bag of people food for myself that would last a month.  I love trying new foods, and I usually enjoy cooking, but every so often, I get tired of having to think about food and wish I could just scoop out two cups of kibble for myself twice a day.  This would save me from having to plan meals, buy groceries, prepare meals, and clean up after them. 

Rob Rhinehart feels the same away about food, so he's created people food that he calls Soylent, after the 1973 film "Soylent Green.” He’s the founder of a failed wireless communications company, not a nutritionist, but after researching nutrition and biochemistry for several months, he compiled a list of ingredients that he hoped would provide all the nutrients he needed to survive, blended them together into a milk-like drink, and has spent several months consuming nothing but Soylent.  Regular blood tests confirm that he’s healthy, he now spends $150 on a food a month compared to the $500+ he spent before creating Soylent, and the U.S. military is now interested in potentially using Soylent to feed soldiers.  Some dietitians and nutrients have criticized Soylent, particularly for its “one-size-fits-all approach” to nutrition, and the spokesman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics tried it and said, “It tastes terrible.”  Despite these criticisms, Rhinehart is planning to mass produce Soylent and hopes to begin selling it soon.
 
I’ll definitely be trying it, and even if it tastes terrible, so does most toothpaste, and I still brush three times a day, so maybe eating could become like brushing one’s teeth.  I suspect that if it’s ever marketed to a wide audience, ways would be found to improve Soylent’s taste.  I doubt, however, that Soylent would be widely adopted, unless, of course, we ran out of food, which is what happens in “Soylent Green.”  Overpopulation and pollution have wiped out most of Earth’s species, so the remaining humans survive on a cakelike substance known as “Soylent Green.”  Officially, it’s made from algae and plankton, but by the end of the movie, we learn that it’s actually made from human bodies.  From a strictly utilitarian perspective, in a world where food is scarce, it makes sense to use dead bodies as food rather than wasting them by burying them in the ground, but it’s very unlikely that the general public would ever accept this, so the substance’s true ingredients are kept secret.


If we ever reach the point where Earth runs out of food, Rhinehart’s creation might save us, but in the meantime, what would it mean for the future of eating for those of us who are receptive to Soylent?  Would we be richer and more productive?  Would we still want snacks?  Would we be healthier?  Would our social lives suffer from not sharing meals with friends, family, and co-workers?  Would we produce white piss and shit?  Unless the mass-produced version of Soylent has an irresistible flavor, I’ll probably continue my current eating habits, and consume Soylent only when I don’t want to think about food.  It’s also possible that after one sip of Soylent, I’ll pour the rest down the drain, be thankful I don’t have to eat like a dog, and order a pizza.    

2 comments:

  1. If you want kibble for dinner, a decent breakfast cereal is pretty much that. Fairly nutritious and takes next to no prep and has a long shelf life. And don't things like Soylent already exist, e.g., Ensure and similar products for people who can't/won't eat normal food? But maybe they are more expensive than Soylent, I guess that is the difference.

    Re: eating people ala Soylent Green. The math just doesn't add up for one thing--if you want to stretch your food supply you eat things low on the food chain like plankton, not top predators. The amount of nutrition Soylent-Cannibalism would add to the food supply would be tiny because there would be so few recently dead people relative to the number of meals the global population would consume (compare the times you die (1) to the times you eat(a lot more than 1)). Also, I believe cannibalism is a huge disease vector (ala mad cow disease) so you'd be spiking the food supply with a tiny bit of nutrition overall while exposing the population to diseases like kuru and who knows what else, which I believe are very hard to screen for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I don't feel like thinking about food, I want the equivalent of dog food, something that will provide all the nutrients I need, and I don't think breakfast cereal does that. Hadn't thought about Ensure, but yeah, I think it would be too expensive.

    I'm sure there are all kinds of nutritional problems with cannibalism, and "Soylent Green" doesn't explain the technical aspects of transforming dead bodies into food. In my comment about the practicality of converting human bodies into food, I was simply stating that in a world where food is scarce it would make sense to explore all potential sources of nutrition, even if this violates deeply ingrained taboos.

    ReplyDelete